Saturday, March 24, 2012

Toilet Paper Rationing Coming Soon to Our Household

We had a minor flood in the basement today. Our girls, one in particular, use gobs of TP.

We have a sump pump that the water from the bathroom downstairs goes into and it fills until the pump comes on and sucks it outside to our septic system. Because of the way this is set up, the water and TP other things I won't mention shoot out from the pipe and land on top of the pump.Whoever put this together to begin with didn't choose the best way.

When one's children are using a whole tree each time they take a poo, it causes the pump to malfunction. The pump doesn't go off and the basement fills with poo/pee water.

Believe me when I say it's just a lovely thing to see and smell. We had to empty the storage room of, well, all the things stored in there. Then, with the aid of the shop vac we pulled back the carpet in a portion of the basement and sucked up the water.

Dan put an elbow into the system so the TP wouldn't plop on top of the pump. I give the big guy major kudos because I wouldn't want to stick my hand down it that hole.

Then, we laid the carpet back down. We shampooed the carpet. We put everything back into the storage room.

It was all just so much more than I ever wanted to know about plumbing.

I was thinking that I might have to start rationing toilet paper.Besides, the flooding problem, toilet paper is darn expensive these days. I could have the kids come to me each time they needed to go. I would have all the toilet paper and I would ask them what kind of business they need to tend to.

"You've got to go pee. Here's your two squares."

Or, "Needin' to do a poo job? 4 squares for you".

That would be sorta fun for about two minutes and then it would get really old. :) Maybe the new elbow thingy will do the trick and these floods will be in the past.

If the waters rise again you'll be the first to know.




2 comments:

The Ziesmer's said...

Ohhh so not fun!!! But I can't help to giggle when I read your posts! Seems most of the time I read your posts you brighten my day.

Co said...

thanks, Kim! Good to hear from you!