Friday, March 9, 2012

A Pet Peeve of Mine

I know that this really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of life but a  pet peeve of mine concerns the use of apostrophes.
It is said that the apostrophe is one of the simplest yet most frequently misused punctuation marks in the English language. My beef comes with the way people use the apostrophe to make a word plural. One of the rules of the English language is that generally we don't use an apostrophe to make a word plural.
So, how do people goof this one up?
  • There is an establishment here in town that had a banner outside for quite awhile that read, "taco's and burrito's tonight".  That one bugged me every time I drove by it! :)
  • I noticed that many people when addressing their Christmas cards use an apostrophe in a family's name, like on the outside of the envelope. 

If you are one of those dorks that use the apostrophe wrong, click here to get a quick lesson. :)
I'm so glad now that I can get on with my life since I've gotten that off my chest. 
What is a pet peeve of yours?




No comments: