Sunday, March 4, 2012

Reconstructive DIEP Flap Surgery

After visiting three plastic surgeons with three different opinions about my best options, I have finally made a decision. I will be having a DIEP flap surgery with a surgeon out of St. Cloud on April 24.

This surgery takes my stomach fat and makes breasts out of it for me. It will involve an incision from hip to hip. The surgery itself will take 8 - 10 hours with 6 weeks of recovery. My hospital stay will be anywhere from 2 -5 days.

I'm not looking forward to this. I don't want to go under the knife again but I would like to have breasts again and that is the only way to get them. This surgery is hard up front - long surgery, long recovery but it gets me breasts made out of my own tissue. There will be nothing foreign in my body like an implant that can later  develop a leak. It also gets me a bit of a tummy tuck.

Hmmm, after two pregnancies and one that birthed three children at once, I could use a little help in the tummy area.

Many times this surgery is done at the same time as the mastectomy but in cases where radiation is needed, the reconstruction is delayed. My surgeon said that he would like to have me wait six months before we proceeded with the surgery. I had thought originally that I would get breast implants and that would be that. But after getting my three opinions from three different surgeons I'm really convinced that this is the best way.

If I had gone with implants alone, the chance that the breast on the right side would be lopsided or develop scar tissue and have to be removed and replaced would be great. My right side had the radiation. Radiation makes skin tough and leathery and very hard to work with.

This information has made me believe that this is the best route for me.

Please pray for me and the surgery. Pray for

  • no complications or infections
  • pray for quick healing and recovery
  • pray that all will go smooth on the home front with care for the kids etc.
  • I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor 5. Pray that I will not develop any blood clots during or after surgery.
  • Pray that if this is not the right decision for me that I would have clear understanding of that.

I can't wait to feel like a complete woman again. The body that cancer took away is being reconstructed little by little again. 


2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Your new blog format is interesting. I caught up a little today. Happy Birthday to Shelby. I know what you mean about them growing up fast. Bobby is 18, now. I am saying all those prayers and more for a successful surgery.

Janet said...

Hi Colleen, I think that is an excellent choice. I will be praying for everything to go very well. Love, Janet