Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Port is in...

I went this morning at 7:30 to have my port put in. I was home by 12:45 or so. I just have to say that the health care professionals at my hospital are incredible! They make things as painless as possible and I like that. :)

I was given an iv - the last one for quite awhile since I now have a port. Then, it was over to the operating room. I told them that they needed a few Christmas decorations over the operating table and I would be glad to assist them with that and then it was lights out for me for awhile.

I have an area on my left shoulder just below my collar bone that houses this thingy. It's a raised area under my skin that is a large target for needles. It is sutured to my muscle and attached to a vein that goes over the top of my heart.

On Friday, when I get my next chemo, they will stick the needle into the port and, wha-la, we're off and running.

So, I've checked another thing off the list. I don't know about you, but most of the time fear of the unknown isn't half as bad as the actual deal. I don't think I was actually fearing it but I wasn't looking forward to it with great enthusiasm either.

Anyway, I'm glad it's done and over with.

I wanted to just say thank you, thank you, thank you. I have the best friends and family in the world. The cards, emails, letters of encouragement, books, meals, taking my children to do special things with them, hats, wigs, money and all the other thoughtful ways you have reached out to me are so appreciated. I love you all and feel extremely blessed to know you. No, I'm not just saying that because I'm high from surgery. :) Thanks again!

5 comments:

The Ziesmer's said...

Co,
So glad to hear things are going relatively smooth!! I continue to pray for you and the family in hopes that you can keep your strength and that things continue to run smoothly, also that your health from here on out only continues to get better :)

Love you girl!!
Kim

La Nostra Vita Bella said...

Aunt CO,
I am glad that you are being well taken care of :) I wish I could have flown out there with my Mom and Aunt Leigh today to be with you guys for a few days! As always, we are praying for you and the family! Give the kiddos love from me!

Love you!
~Savy

Unknown said...

Hey Co,

Just want you to know that we are thinking and praying for you and the whole family. Keep up the strength and positive attitude! You all need anything just let me know.

Gary and Holly

Deneen said...

Dear Colleen,
You will like your port. Every time I see John's I think he should get a free membership to the Star Trek Society. I'm still praying your "9 to 5 Chemo. gig" is shortened.

Love,
Deneen and John

Sara Liz said...

I hope the soreness heals up quickly!
Thinking of you often!