Tuesday, December 7, 2010

oncologist visit

I met my oncologist today. Seems like a pretty nice guy and he dumbed it down enough for us that it wasn't too difficult to follow. :) This is what I learned:

I start chemo on this Friday (12/10). I will have it every week for 8 - 18 weeks depending on how my cancer responds. Then, I will have the mastectomy followed by more chemotherapy and then radiation.

My cancer stage is 3B.

We asked about a prognosis and he wasn't ready to give one yet. He said he would see after awhile but this kind of cancer has a tendency to come back.

One huge praise is that I had no insurance and I found out today that I will be covered under a program for breast/cervical cancer patients. Completely covered, 100%, for a lifetime! Wow, God is so good!

Pray that I will tolerate the medication well because the list of side effects he went through today is frightening.

I think both Dan and I came out of our meeting with our heads spinning but I really feel much peace this evening. I can do this, one day at a time. Looking too far into the future can seem so bleak but I can do today. Thank goodness I serve a God who is not constrained by prognosis or stages or cancer. He has a plan for me and I'm good with that.



Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged for the lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

In his heart a man plans his course, but the lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

6 comments:

lee said...

We pray for a miracle girlfriend! We love you and praise God He is already answering prayers!!

"we seek not the gift but the fruit"...what fruit will come from this trial I truly can't wait to see!
The Shelstad Gang

Colleen said...

YOU ARE AMAIZING -- I am sorry to learn about the news. I am SO inspired by the way you and Dan are going to take this ON!!

May GOD continue to support you and your beautiful family.
Be sure to know we are all praying for you today and everyday!!

Love,
The Faacks Family
Colleen, Lonnie, Olivia, Jessica and Jacob

Deneen said...

Your oncologist told us that, God took away his crystal ball a long time ago. He kind of reminds me of the wizard in the Wizard of OZ...in the nicest way possible.

Attitude means so much in the fight and God has gifted you with all that you need for today - just like the Manna - there's no collecting, hoarding and storing in God's economy. God's graces are delivered fresh every day.

We're receiving grace for the day here at the Mayo. We're looking forward to worshiping with you in spirit and in truth on Sunday. Lift High the name of Jesus! I have hugs for each of you, but you'll need to come and collect. Dan, promise not to hurt me. I'll be behind the yellow rope. Join us fragile types anytime. Love, Deneen & John

JulieNBrad said...

Hi Colleen, Dan and kids!

I was so sorry to hear about your news, but and I told Jill this too, I have only known breast cancer survivors and you will make #5. I admire your courage at the get-go and believe that, with your faith and the love and support of your amazing family will DEFINITELY get you through this trial! Strength and love to you!!

With love,
Julie, Brad and Avery

Anonymous said...

Aunt Coby,
We have been praying lots and keeping you all in our thoughts this last week. I am so glad to know that the financial part is completely taken care of! What a blessing that is. I just wanted to pop by and leave a quick note. Wish we could all come up there for Christmas this year so we could all be together!

Love you so much!
Savanah, Jon, Hunter & Brooklyn

Sara Liz said...

I've been thinking of you constantly, and praying for tomorrow!