Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankfulness...

I just finished a turkey and cranberry sandwich and to say that I'm feeling good would be an understatement. I love the food of Thanksgiving. I love the fall and fall colors. I love the time spent with family. I love it all.

This year is much different than last. I went in for my biopsy on my breast the day before Thanksgiving last year. We were suppose to hear back from the doctor possibly the Friday after Thanksgiving or that Monday after the long weekend, at the latest.

We spent Thanksgiving with family at our house but I remember being pensive and troubled. I remember wrestling with the whole idea of cancer. I remember wondering if I was going to die. My thoughts bobbed around like a tiny boat on the waves of a ferocious sea. I know that I made a decision back then that I was going to either trust God completely or I would fall into the abyss of anger and blame. My post from a year ago reflects this struggle.

This Friday, I take my last round of Herceptin. It will mark a full year of treatment. What a path I have walked. I never, ever once thought that I would utter the word cancer and have it pertain to me.

 I cannot say the road was easy or fun. I am thinking about a line in a movie that says that life is made up of meetings and partings. Life is also made up of blessings and sorrows co mingled. We will always have both as long as our feet are here on Earth.

I choose to celebrate the blessings. God has blessed me in immeasurable ways and my heart overflows with love and thanksgiving.


Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.



Psalm 95:2
Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.



Colossians 4:2
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.



Hebrews 12:28
Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire".



Psalm 69:30
I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.




1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

You have survived a year with cancer. You assembled your army and drew your weapons. You are a strong warrior. I am so awed by your constant courage and hope-filled posts.