Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Dream

I can feel a tugging at my breast and my baby is there, nestled in the crook of my arm, suckling the nourishing milk that my body has made. It is night time and the babe is warm and sleepy in my arms. I am sitting in my favorite rocking chair. I see her head of thick, brown hair move a bit as she greedily drinks. Her chubby, little hand rests on my bosom. Nursing brings a sense of well being that calms my whole body. I'm amazed at this beautiful child in my arms. I feel so blessed to be able to sustain my little one in this way.

After she has had her fill, she slumbers. I feel myself begin to drift off to sleep.

I awake. I am sitting upright in my bed. I hear my husband's gentle breathing beside me. My hands fly to my chest. They are gone. It was just a dream. My breasts are gone.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Totally get this...and I am so sorry you have to live with this loss. Prayers as you continue on the healing journey!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Keep writing and sharing these dreams, feelings, and experiences. It will help others, and heal you.
Hugs.
Mary

Janet said...

I can relate. I had another of these dreams Saturday night. I'm so thankful I did get to nurse all my babies before I got cancer. Hugs,
Janet