Thursday, November 10, 2011

Let It Snow, Please

It snowed last night for the first time this fall. If you are one of those strange people that despise winter and snow then you might want to stop reading here. Our family loves ALL the seasons and we adore winter.

 I guess I should clarify and say that we adore winter where it snows all winter long and the snow stays on the ground. I'm not sure why people prefer brown winters to white winters but there are a few of you out there. You know who you are, Grandpa Brown.

 Then, there are those who wish they could live somewhere tropical all year long. God bless you all. There seems to be a bunch of you. Everywhere we go, we run into weather whiners and complainers. My goodness, life is too short to live somewhere where you hate the weather. Can I suggest a move for you might be in order? Ha ha.

We were at the grocery store the other day and ran into two people who were just like us. It's rather rare so we had a snow dance right in the middle of the store. We were all anxiously awaiting the first snow.

I am waiting for a good, old fashioned, Minnesota winter. One with LOTS of snow. I pray every year. I know He hears me and one of these winters we will get pounded.

Don't get me wrong, we get snow and, usually, a foot or so stays on the ground most of the winter. I just want some of those huge storms that dump more than a foot at a time. And a lot of them in one season.

My dad says that one day I will outgrow this and I will not like winter anymore. I'm 42 and it hasn't happened yet. One of my aunts loved winter until she departed this earth. I want to be like one of the older ladies in our church that still cross country skied into her early eighties. Guess, I should learn how to cross-country ski now, huh. She also taught me how to make gorgeous ice candles. I had never heard of them before.








Ice candles on my porch last year.









Where I lived and grew up in Colorado we got our share of snow. We also got the big snow storms. But the snow would melt off and it could be 60 the next day. You never know how to dress. And when the white snow melts, there is brown everywhere.

When it started snowing last night, the kids went out into the driveway and danced around trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues. Snowflakes are rather elusive. :) Dan and I stood there and watched them.

This morning, I fixed a big breakfast of sausage, homemade biscuits, and eggs. We turned on the fireplace and cranked up the Christmas music. The kids got out all the Christmas catalogs that we've been getting in the mail. I remember pouring over the Sears Toy Catalog as a child. Making my Christmas list and checking it twice.

The cold and snow (it's stopped now and no accumulation - darn it!) makes it feel so cozy inside. Hoping you are cozy and blessed today. Unless you are in Florida or somewhere warm and then I'm hoping your feeling cool and blessed. :)

1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

What a beautiful tribute to our winter wonderland.