Thursday, July 7, 2011

It's All Done!

I'm doing well. This last chemo seemed to be really hard. I guess I was just wanting to get it over... imagine that! :) I was sick and in bed for 3 or 4 days. I can't even describe how yucky I feel after the treatments and I have asked God to spare me that experience ever again. I can't go there and I have to visually place my life in God's capable hands and leave it there. It's something I do daily, sometimes many times daily.

My mom was here for two weeks to help while I had chemo. The words "thank you" seem grossly inadequate when I think about our family and how they have been here during this past 7 months. You are awesome and I love each of you dearly!

We received our last meal from our church family and friends tonight. These people have fed us anywhere from 2-4 times a week for the past seven months. My friend, Lisa Drake coordinated the effort to make sure that we had these meals when we needed them most. What a God sent is was to not have to worry about food while there was so much more on our minds.

I just get so emotional when I think about how much everyone has done for us. When you gave money, food, and gifts you were being the hands and feet of Jesus to us. We have been profoundly changed by your generosity.

So, what are the next steps? One chemo drug in particular can damage the heart so I have a echo cardiogram next week to check it out. The following week on July 21, I have an appointment with my radiologist. After that appointment, we will have a clearer picture of what is to happen.

I will continue receiving Herceptin treatments every three weeks until December. After that, I can have my port taken out and then I will have reconstruction surgery sometime next spring.

It feels so good to be this far in my journey. Cancer is a real bummer to say the least but I don't want to miss all the things cancer can/has taught me. When I feel myself getting frustrated over something inconsequential, I remind myself that it really "ain't a big deal". Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. If I can bring glory to God each day that he has me here on this earth, then that's good enough for me.

Click here to read what, John Piper, author and pastor, has to say about what cancer can teach us. Amen, John Piper.


In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

So glad that you have survived the worst of the treatments and can leave those behind on the road. The journey continues. Walk on, Colleen! You are an inspiration.