Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hamster Shenanigans

If you read my post called Crazy Hamster Sex, you know that we were about to buy the girls some hamsters. We did that for their birthday. We were very specific about wanting two, girl hamsters so that we would not have a family of hamsters later. Well.....

Looks like those folks at the pet store have no idea how to tell a boy hamster from a girl hamster.

One evening as I was singing to the girls at bedtime, I looked at their hamsters and thought one of them looked like she was getting bigger, rounder. I googled "how to tell a hamster's sex" and then went back to the girl's room for an inspection. Dan and I held them up and, hmmmm, sure looks like we have a boy and a girl.

I'm guessing that as soon as we put those little hamsters in the cage together they immediately got married and then got down to business.

I asked Macy if she still wanted her boy hamster to be named Princess. She thought for awhile and decided Sam would be a better name.

So, we have separated the little rats. Not that it will do a lot of good now.

We are awaiting the impending birth with baited breath.

2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Funny about the hamsters and good news about your health. Thanks for the update. You're doing great!!

Bob and Joleen said...

What a great educational opportunity for your students ;)