Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Quick Update

I'll give a quick update...I should be in bed right now but have felt guilty about not updating my blog.

I had my echo two weeks ago. "Unofficially," my heart is doing well. I haven't met with my oncologist yet but the tech said that everything looked good. He chided my for not staying on top of my treatment. I was suppose to have an echo every three months while on Herceptin and my last echo was in December. He said that it's really sad when someone beats cancer only to die of heart disease. Duly noted. I will stay on top of it from here on out.

This past week, I met my doctor in charge of my radiation therapy. We talked about my care and why it was necessary for me to have radiation when there was no cancer on my PET scan or in my breast tissue after my mastectomy. He said that chemo takes care of most of the cancer but there could still be some out there that radiation will finish off. He said that I should have minimal effects from the radiation. I'm so glad to hear that!

The following day, I went back and had a CAT scan to help map out my body for radiation. Then, I was given two small tattoos to mark the area that will be radiated. Darn, nothing cute like a butterfly or a flower. They just put a dab of ink on my skin and then jabbed it in with a needle. They are so small it's hard to differentiate them from a mole.

This week I am waiting to hear when I will start radiation. I will have it for 6 weeks, 5 days a week.

I had my Herceptin treatment also last week. It doesn't make me sick but I have had some aches from it. Couldn't figure out why my bones ached and then I looked up the side effects and it was listed there. I'll take it, though. So much better than barfing.

Other than that, I have taken the kids to the beach several times. It was hot here last week with high temps and high humidity. So instead of sitting around in the air conditioning, we played in the sand and floated in the water. It's so nice to do some summery things and feel pretty good while doing them!

Well, that was not quick. But now you all have been updated and my guilt is gone. :) Enjoy these dog days of summer and I'll try to post again sooner than later.

I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. Psalm 63:4

No comments: