Sunday, April 3, 2011

Recovering...

Hello! I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to post again. I have some great news to share with you. My pathology report came back this past week and there was no cancer in any of the tissues including both breasts and the lymph nodes they took during surgery. God is so good! Praise his name!


Wednesday, the day of surgery, we awoke to snow. Forecasters had been predicting 8-10 inches. I think it looked more like six but the wind was blowing it around a bit. We were to be at the hospital at 6:30 and my surgery at 7:30. My husband, sister and mother accompanied me over to the hospital. We waited a bit and then they brought me in to start my iv.


I have a port that can be used for anesthesia but for some reason, certain medical professionals are reluctant to use them. So, my doctor had asked that they put the iv in my leg or foot. I wasn't a happy camper while they tried to find a site. After several sticks and no success, they put the iv in the inside of my forearm. I don't know about you, but the iv is the worst part of the process for me. I said good bye to my family and I don't remember anything from there.


When I woke up I was in my room. I spent the rest of the day resting and I was pretty sleepy and groggy. The kids came over to visit but I don't remember much of it. I slept pretty well that night and then the next day, I walked around the halls a couple of times and began eating a few meals. I had the option of staying another day but I decided to head home so I could sleep in peace.


Sleeping has been more difficult. I slept in a chair for the first two nights because it was more comfortable. The third night I was so ready for my bed that I just made it happen, no matter the pain. I am a side sleeper and having to sleep flat on my back stinks! :) I am sure I will get to my side one of these nights.


I had a doctor's appointment on Monday. They checked my incisions and pulled my drains out. That was fun. The drains were little tubes coming out of my chest area that connected to bulbs at the end. I had two on the right side and one on the left. We had to empty the drains and measure how much was in them each time. So to have them gone is a good deal.


Ten days out from surgery I can move around on my own without assistance. I can do most things just a bit more slowly. I am feeling stronger but it feels like such a long haul. I think I need a week on a beach to soak my bones. I'm sure that would really help me heal! :)


I have had a few bad days just coming to term with the mastectomy and so many other things. My employer promised me that I would always have a job to come back to when this was all finished. I received a call the day after I got home from the hospital informing me that they couldn't keep my position open any longer and that they had hired someone else for my night shift. I'm frustrated but hopeful. God brought that job along (click here to read that story) just when Dan and I needed it the most. I trust that He will provide another if/when it is needed. I have applied for disability and it would be such an awesome thing to be approved right away. God will provide!


And my God will meet all your needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Sounds like much good news and hopefulness. I'm so relieved. Hugs!

Unknown said...

Glad you are doing well. Thinking about you! Hope to come visit soon!