Thursday, April 7, 2011

Twins and Things

Most of you know that I have a twin sister, Carleen. We are fraternal twins. Our maternal grandmother was a triplet - two girls and a boy just like my triplets. My great grandmother gave birth to the triplets in 1900 at home on the farm. They were number 9, 10, and 11 in a family of 16. My grandmother was a smallish woman but she had to be a pretty strong, didn't she? My mother's side runs amok with multiple births - there have been 3 sets of twins and three sets of triplets in the past couple of generations.



My Great Grandmother and Grandmother (on the left).



My twin sister and I.

Did you know that anyone can have identical twins - the splitting of one egg just happens. Fraternal twins/triplets are passed on through the maternal side of a family. Apparently, the ability to drop more than one egg at a time is inherited. (I dropped 30 eggs one time at Walmart at the front door! Haha, I really did!)

You wouldn't believe how many strange questions we would get with the triplets, especially when they were smaller and we had them in their triple stroller. One peculiar question was, "Are they identical?". Uummm, no...all parts have to match on the kids for them to be identical and with two girls and one boy, well... "No, they are not identical". There can be identical twins within triplets. Anyway...



The triplets in the hospital.

Enough of the biology lesson. I said all that so I could post this cute video of these twins talking to each other in their own language. My mom and dad said that my twin sister and I did the same thing. We would chatter back and forth and even laugh at each other and no one could understand what we were saying. Click here to watch this fun video. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

That video is making the rounds. I was totally reminded of Charlie and Eric. Your pics are adorable. Can you imagine having trips in 1900, AND all those other kids. Yep, you come from hardy stock!
Hope you're healing well!
We're off to the MOM's convention.

Anonymous said...

I still like Kinzey's comment when someone asked her how old the triplets were when she was babysitting,(still scary thought) and she said, "5 they are all the same age." Gotta love her!!!!