Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Upcoming Stuff

I now know what the plan is for the next few months of my life after meeting with my oncologist last Wednesday. I will begin chemo again on the Tuesday, the 26th of April...right after Easter. I will have four chemo treatments, one every 3 weeks for a total of twelve weeks. I will have 3-4 weeks off and then I will begin radiation.

My medication has been changed. I will not be taking Adriamycin, also known as the red devil. My doctor is following protocol from MD Anderson in Houston which is the premier place to get treatment for Inflammatory Breast Cancer. I will be on four chemo drugs, Cyclophosphamide, Fluorouracil, Epirubicin and Herceptin. Wow, who names these things?

My doctor explained to me that we needed to continue treatment and follow the plan even though no cancer was found in my breast tissue or lymph nodes. He said that we have one shot with this cancer and we need to give it everything we've got. He explained that if it comes back a second time, it's incurable.

A friend of mine who was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer in September of 2010 is now in the end stages of her life. She was a stage 4 when diagnosed and it had already spread to liver and bones. She will finally get to meet Jesus and be free from this dreadful cancer so I am rejoicing with her but my heart hurts for her family and what they will go through when she is gone.

Another friend asked me how I was doing with this news. I think it's just a reminder that our life here is short... each day a precious gift from the Giver of Life. I don't want to take anything for granted. And...this life isn't all it's about, just a sliver in the expanse of eternity. I am still trusting God that he has numbered my days here on earth aright. Today I choose to trust and not worry.

So, I have one week of freedom until treatment begins again. I have a bit of dread building up in the pit of my stomach. I'm not a chemo newbie anymore. The doses are stronger than my last round of chemo. But only four more doses, right? I know that God will give me the strength to get through this.

Since this has been a somewhat somber post, I thought I would add a little humor here at the end. I have received so many wonderful cards from people all over this country. Did you know that there is a line of cards for people going through cancer? Here's a few funny cards I received from friends and family.

If people ask why you are wearing a scarf on your head and you say it's because you're a pirate... They'll have no follow-up question.
My mostly bald brother-in-law signed it by saying, "Besides, what's wrong with being bald?".

Another great card I received said,

Pretty soon the only sick thing about you will be your thoughts. Like Usual.
Hmmmm, apparently, they know me too well!

I received this card from two different people.

Advantages of Losing your Hair:
Eliminates bed head.
Can be a shining example to others.
No need for expensive hair products.
Takes off years, because you look more like your baby photo.
Gray hair? What gray hair?
And the number one advantage of losing your hair...
more places to be kissed.

Step boldly. Leap high. Soar freely. Kick butt.

And the last funny one...

A mad bunny on the front with a conversation balloon that says,
"Go -------- yourself, you --------- --------. The inside says, When the going gets tough, the tough somtimes swear a lot.

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

You are filled with strength and courage. So sorry to hear about your friend. Keep fighting! Love you!

Co said...

Mary, thanks for always encouraging me! You are a gift from God. Love ya girl.