Friday, April 8, 2011

I Have Good News

Monday, I finally remembered to check my home phone for messages. It's just one of those annoying must haves because of our internet. I forget it's there and then I finally remember and check my messages.

Anyway, social security had called about my disability application on Friday. I called them back on Monday but my counselor wasn't in that day. I was wondering what more they wanted. My dad had just helped me fill out a multi-page questionaire right after I came home from the hospital that asked all kinds of questions and took and hour and 1/2 to complete. I was on pain meds and thankful my dad was there to write and make sense of my ramblings.

So, I was thinking they were going to want some of my blood or urine or maybe, my first born child next. :) Chris, my counselor called Tuesday morning and cut right to the chase. He told me that my disability had been approved! I will get my first check in June and I will receive it for one year. I will be getting more money than when I was working. This will allow me the time to get through the rest of my treatments and then my reconstruction next spring. My family spent the rest of day sending thanks up to heaven!

I think both of us were a bit depressed just wondering how we were going to pay our monthly bills and provide the necessities for 4 growing children. I lost my job, our dryer went on the fritz, our two vehicles each with 200,000 + miles need serious work, Dan's c-pap that he uses to sleep at night died and the replacement was $1200, and then there's the cancer... and list goes on.

Both Dan and I had been struggling with this issue. We know that God provides. He's proven that to us many, many times. The Bible says that God's power is made perfect in our weakness. We were feeling pretty weak. I guess we were right where He wants us. Not trying to make things happen ourselves just relying on Him. Sure is hard to do sometimes, isn't it? I must be a slow learner. :) Just when I think I have this down, I take on the yoke of worry again. I read about the Israelites in the Old Testament and I think to myself, "Those are some seriously dumb people. Can't they see that God has provided for them time and time again?" Aaah, and then I'm exhibit A.

Here is another thing to add to the list of all the things that God has done for us!

Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:22-31

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

You have ligit worries and concerns. You also have great faith and caring friends and family. Maybe the blessings outnumber the worries and concerns.