Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Our Talking Fire Alarm

It's late into the night and Dan and I are sawing logs. In the fog of deep sleep I hear some woman say, "Low battery". I wonder if there is an intruder in our house. Never mind, that she's not being very stealthy if she's wandering around saying "Low Battery". I sit up and wipe the drool from my mouth and wonder where that voice came from. I poke Daniel and tell him that someone said "So sorry". He tells me that it's probably Shelby's cell phone. I tell him that it was some lady speaking.

Finally, Dan wakes up enough to tell me that it's our fire/smoke alarm speaking to us. "She" has freaked us out more than once. When we first moved in here, the kiddos were in the basement when the fire alarm went off and we heard her saying, "Fire, fire, fire!". The kids came running upstairs lickety split with the whites of their eyes showing wondering who the lady was yelling at them in the basement and expecting to see the house going up in flames.

She kept speaking to us the rest of the night at least hourly if not more. Good thing she wasn't a real person because I would have cheerfully shot a hole through her last night. Dan replaced the batteries today and, hopefully, we won't hear from the lady again for awhile.

No comments: