Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas

We had a low-key Christmas this year. Very different from last year's cancer drama. Very nice that it was different. We spent Christmas eve day around the house. I baked 4 different kinds of cookies. The kids bounced off the walls with excitement.

The day went quick and then it was time to head to church. Dan was running the sound board for the Christmas eve service and I was singing a solo so we had to be there early
.
Our Christmas eve service is always so beautiful. I love singing the traditional Christmas carols and lighting the candles at the end as we all sing Silent Night.

We headed home with the children and had fondue for our Christmas eve meal. We let the kids open one present and then we watched a Christmas movie.

We sent the kiddos to bed and Dan and I stayed up late. I made homemade cinnamon rolls and we stuffed the stockings.

Someone woke us up around 8 and we all piled downstairs to open gifts. We opened our stockings at the end. We played with all the new stuff and ate a Christmas day meal of herb and garlic crusted pork roast, double cheddar holiday biscuits and scalloped russet and sweet potatoes. (recipes in December 2011 issue of Better Homes and Gardens.)

I find myself, today, feeling a bit melancholy. Christmastime is my favorite time of the year as I often remind my children and husband. When it's over it takes me awhile to adjust to the fact that it has come and gone and I will have to wait another year for the wonder and excitement of it all.

The gift given to us by our heavenly Father in the form of his son come to earth as a tiny babe is not just a one day celebration. I do wish to carry the spirit of Christmas with me all year through. I'm wishing the same for you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!




2 comments:

Michele said...

Colleen,
a note of wistfulness in your writings-

I also find my heart wishing for the celebration of Christmas to last a little longer-

The warmth of the lights and the comfort of song.

It is a sweet blessing to have a place to worship, and for the times shared up north at the Log Church, we find ourselves longing to sing along during a candle lit service, coming humbly to worship our King-

Thank you for the beautiful card and Christmas photo greetings. My thoughts and prayers continue for your health and healing. If you come to the cities you are always welcome here!

We will be celebrating Jeffrey's birthday with family on 1/1/12! A roast, fresh vegetables, a crusty bread, & seasoned wedged potatoes is on the menu. A Christmas he was hoping for a French silk, so I will see what I can do to surprise him :)

Keep in touch-
Love,
Michele
Email:Michele.Weitzel@gmail.com
Cell: 763-244-0622

Mary Aalgaard said...

Sweet remembrances. 2012 holds many more surprises.