Sunday, December 11, 2011

Boob Shopping

Dan and I went to the cities on Friday to visit with two plastic surgeons. We left the house at 5:45 in the morning because our first appointment was at 8 a.m. I am filling out paper work en route so that I will have it finished when we get there. One question on the form is, "Why are you visiting us today?". Dan and I are laughing and talking about it and I decide to write "boob shopping" on the form.

The first surgeon is a handsome man. I guess one should think twice about hiring an ugly plastic surgeon. :) When he walks into the room with my paperwork he says to me, "I have never had anyone put that reason on this form". We all have a good laugh about it.

Anyway, the surgeon did a great job explaining the different procedures and options available to me. He had a paper with a little diagram on it so he could explain in more detail.

Some of you may not know this about my big guy - he can gut an elk or deer without blinking an eye but he's very squeamish when it comes to talk about blood, our bodies, surgeries, or anything of that nature.  When I had to have an emergency c-section to deliver the triplets, the anesthesiologist made it very clear to Dan that if he passed out in the delivery room that he would need to fall in a way that wouldn't interfere with the surgery because he didn't have time to deal with Dan if that is what happened.

On with the story. I'm listening intently to the surgeon when I hear Dan say, "Excuse me, I need to go to the restroom". He gets up to walk out of the room and I catch a glimpse of his profile and I can see that he is as pale as a ghost. The surgeon asks if Dan wants him to wait for him to come back before he continues with more details and Dan tells him to go on without him.

Later, Dan tells me that he goes into the hallway to splash some water on his face and walk up and down the corridor until he feels well enough to join me back in the room.

It really makes my heart go pitter-patter that my man knows that he's squeamish and that he hates surgery details but he goes in there with me anyway because he knows I need his support. I couldn't ask for a better person to be by my side through all this mess.

We visit another surgeon who looks a little like a mad scientist. He has completely different ideas about reconstructive surgery.

We stop by the Mall of America and hit Cabela's on our way out of town.

I sigh a big sigh of relief. I have gotten my three opinions. Another check mark on my list of things to do.

Now, I just have to decide what route to take.

2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

I wish you all the best as you make another medical decision. What a blessing Dan is to you.

Janet said...

I'm wondering when your surgery will be. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Just want it all to be over for you!