Wednesday, October 12, 2011

F is for Football

Levi has been playing football. They have a 3rd and 4th grade tackle football team here. Actually, they have four. Anyway, he's been playing for the past five weeks. His father is helping to coach the team. What fun it's been to watch the two of them.

If you know Dan very well, you know that he played football from a little boy up until he graduated from high school. He was an offensive lineman (all conference) and he planned on playing in college and, hopefully, in the NFL. He was being pursued by Nebraska Cornhuskers and had interest in Oklahoma also. I remember that Nebraska was sending him 40 reasons to come and play with them. He got a letter from them each week with a new reason. After having quite a few knee surgeries and having a hard time walking at age 18 he made the decision to quit football. Word got out about his knee surgeries and the scouts quit calling.

He still misses ball. I think every fall he wistfully watches the players out on the field and wonders, what if. Who knows...maybe he and I wouldn't have stayed together with him in another state for college. Only God knows.

Anyway, I digress. It's been super fun to have Levi play ball and I think Dan has enjoyed the coaching aspect. I always thought he would be good at that.


Levi's team has won every game that they have played. Here's me on the sidelines: "GET THEM, KILL THEM, MAKE 'EM PAY!". Then a bolt of reality hits and I remember that this is 3RD and 4TH grade football, not high school, college or the NFL. Simmer down woman! :)

His last football game is this Saturday. Here are some pictures. I thought I shot some video but can't find it so these will have to suffice.









2 comments:

The Torpys said...

Thank you for sharing these Co! Next year we will make a game for sure! I completely agree with you that Dan has the right stuff for coaching! Glad you all enjoyed the season! Lots of love :)

Mary Aalgaard said...

Those boys, big and small, are making great memories.