Tuesday, March 8, 2011

There's a Shrew in the House and It's Not Me

Ha ha ha! I crack myself up.

I went to the hospital today to get my Herceptin and it turned out taking a lot longer than I planned. I had to have an ultrasound because I had some weird swelling in my face and neck area last week. They want to make sure that there isn't a blood clot near my port. I will maybe find out tomorrow if there was anything there. I was there from 11 -3. So much for getting a break from the place. :)

I came home and started painting these beautiful beds my husband made for Kylie and Macy. They have been sleeping on their mattresses on the floor since we moved into this house. I guess this is a pic of the headboards but aren't they cute?




Anyway, slowly getting to the point here. I hear this, "MOM, MOM, MOM," and up the stairs come two screeching seven year olds. "MOM, THERE'S A MOUSE IN THE BASEMENT! HE'S RUNNING BETWEEN THE BOOKS!" After the panic die down, I find out from Macy that he came down the stairs and then ran across the floor through the school room and the books stacked there. I'm thinking this is great. I HATE mice. Dan is due home in a few minutes and after I call him to tell him how much I HATE mice I tell the kids to go back downstairs. I assure them that a mouse isn't going to do bodily harm to them or kill them.

The girls are back down in Shelby's room when I hear this, "MOM, COME DOWN HERE QUICK!" I'm painting and really reluctant to put my brush down and hop up to run down there. I tried sending Levi down who is now not wanting to go where the mouse abides even though he had been trash talking the girls a few minutes earlier because they were afraid of the basement because of said mouse.

I head down the stairs and find one child in the middle of the bed sobbing and carrying on. Dear lord, is there an ax murderer down here along with the tiny mouse? The other is standing in the middle of the floor and ready to give an account as an eye witness might at a crime scene. "The mouse came into my room and around my guitar and then he turned around and ran back out!"

I guess it's mouse hunting time. I have to tell you I had tore apart a closet in the basement looking for my dear children's AWANA badges that I haven't sewn on yet. No big deal right except that they got them last year. Bad mother award for me. :) Anyway, there was stuff everywhere that this little fella could have been hiding behind. I kicked a few boxes...nothing. The dog comes in and lays down in the middle of the uproar. Maybe he will be some help if we find the mouse. I walk across the room and Shelby says that he just poked his head out from under the door that goes into the storage room. So much for the dog's help. He just laid there and eyed the rodent as it made it's appearance. We have him cornered! We stuff a blanket under the door so he can't escape and wait for Dan's arrival.

Dan arrives and amid the hysteria he ascertains that the mouse is in the storage room and we need him to kill it! He opens the door to set a mouse trap and the little thing runs right up to him trying to escape his prison. That's when Dan discovers that it's a shrew and not a mouse. He must have come in through the garage door and gone down the stairs to the basement. Well, finding out that the rodent is a shrew changed all the kids opinions. "Don't kill it Daddy, just put it in something and take it outside," they say. Dan is rolling his eyes and wondering how he came to be in the middle of all of this. When did his children become card carryin' PETA children?

He sends someone to get a bucket and they come back downstairs with some of my Tupperware.??. The shrew has disappeared by this time and Dan is losing patience. He sets a trap and sits by the door hoping to nab the little guy as he runs up to the trap. Well, I have to say that the poor little shrew met his Maker today. He ran right up to the peanut butter and into the trap before Dan could put the Tupperware over him. Anyway, that's Dan's story and he's sticking to it. A few tears are shed and I hear Shelby telling her daddy, "It's OK daddy, I know you tried your best". The truth may never be known.

Aaah, I love my ordinary life and moments like these!



4 comments:

Michelle said...

There's still another one in your house. They ALWAYS travel in pairs! Just ask Michelle.
- Pastor Dan

Mary Aalgaard said...

That is so funny about how the kids changed their tune when it wasn't a mouse. Either way, I'd shriek! Happy mouse hunting - and healing!!!!

Unknown said...

Sure are no dull mpments at your house are there. What a funny story!!

Unknown said...

This isn't Chris - it's Marge P.