Tuesday, February 15, 2011

PET Scan Good News

On Thursday, I went in to have a PET scan. They shot some radioactive sugar into my veins and then I had to sit for an hour. Apparently, during this time they don't want you doing anything like talking on your telephone or reading. You just hang out in a recliner and wait. After the waiting time is up, your body is scanned inside of a big machine similar to a CAT or MRI machine. That took about 20 - 25 minutes and wasn't too bad but I had to keep my arms over my head and not move during that time. Sounds easy til your muscles start twitching and falling asleep! The whole process took about an hour and a half.

I went in on Friday for chemo and a doctor's appointment. My oncologist didn't have my results back from the PET scan yet so we talked about other things. I was back in the main room, hooked up to my companion the IV pole when my doctor came in with my results. He handed me two pieces of paper with my PET results on them. I can't remember exactly what he said but his gist was that the cancer that was on the other images from the MRI and CT scans is no longer there. My lymph nodes and breast look normal. There is no metastasized cancer anywhere. He told me this and then he walked away. Wow! Seriously, what does this mean?

I called my care coordinator to just run some questions by her. Obviously, the news I got on Friday is GOOD NEWS! Does it change the care I will receive? I don't think so. I am pretty sure that they will continue to recommend the rest of the treatment plan. From their standpoint, I am responding to chemo in a textbook fashion.

Want to know what I think? I serve an awesome God and I am in His hands. He works through doctors and medicines. He is also a God of awesome miracles! I believe that I'm right where He wants me. I am so thankful that I can leave my care and plans in His hands and that His plan is just right for me.

So, rejoice with me that my scan was awesome! I am praising God for His goodness! Pray for me over these next few weeks as I finish up my first round with chemo. The accumulation of chemo has made my days harder. My feet feel more and more like blocks of wood that I'm walking around on. My fingernails are aching now. I'm praying they don't fall off completely. My taste buds are shot and everything tastes so strange. My fatigue is frustrating and oppressive. But, I can do all things with Christ who gives me strength. I am learning so much through this about myself and my God. That is the point, isn't it?

Because the hand of the Lord my God was on me, I took courage. Ezra 7:28

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28-29

I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess. Martin Luther

5 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

You are surrounded by so much love and care. The deeper relationships, the love of life, the appreciation for each breath every day, those are the gifts of your life. Blessings and continued healing to you!

Lorsie said...

As I said this before and I will say this again. It's a Miracle,AMEN!!! but you are right more prayers are definately needed and you are going to get through this all. Love ya girl!

Bob and Joleen said...

It makes you want to break out in song:
God of wonders, beyond our galaxy
You are holy, holy
The universe declares Your majesty
You are holy, holy
Praise God for this miracle! We will continue to lift you and your family up in our prayers. Love you Colleen!

Unknown said...

It is great to hear the good news. Keep up your spirits and faith and you will whip this thing with no problem. We are thinking and praying for you and the family. Miss you guys.

Unknown said...

Amen Co!!!!!!!
Your blogs move me to tears, you are such an inspiration. We do serve an awesome God and he is shining through you in so many ways.
God Bless you and your family!