Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hairless Babe

Well, my hair started falling out last week. I went with my sister while she was here to have it cut short. It looked really cute but as I was washing my hair in the shower the other day, I realized that a lot of it was stuck to my hands and trying to go down the drain.

It was time to gather the troops. I asked a few friends to come over and Dan took up the clippers and shaved my head down to nubbins. Now you wouldn't believe how many people tell me I look just like Demi Moore in GI Jane. The similarity is uncanny. Yeah, right. Anyway, I have some cute hats and I tried on some of the wigs that my sister-in-law sent up. My friends gave me the thumbs up or thumbs down sign.

My kids were right there watching. Macy burst into tears but seems to have come to terms with it now as she wanted to see my bald head first thing this morning. Kylie thinks it's cool and wants to shave hers off to match. Levi said he didn't really like it and Shelby is very encouraging.

I can tell you now that it's a little chillier without your hair. I had enough hair for 3-4 people so my head was really warm. It will grow back. Unlike my breasts who's days are numbered. Still working through that one, though.

Chemo 5 went well. I am definitely in a pattern of feeling good on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays are tough. It's not just "fatigue". It's really hard to describe how one's body feels - I guess like everything is a supreme effort, walking neck deep through mud.

Anyway, this week will mark the 1/2 way point for me on this first go round with chemo. I am actually looking forward to my time off around surgery as I will have about a month without chemo.

We have returned to school this week. The kids are actually happy to be back on a schedule of sorts. I am so pleased to be teaching again. "Normal" life feels pretty good!


May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace as you trust in him. Romans 15:13

(This verse was given to me 3 times in one day. I love it when God speaks!)

1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

I'm sure you look terrific in hats. Cute scarves are also fun. Blessings and hugs to you!