Thursday, May 17, 2012

I'm Back

My apologies for not posting sooner. My post the day after surgery was obviously done while under the effects of morphine. :0 I hate that stuff but I was feeling no pain that day! Anyway, this has been a tough journey. I've started several posts only to stall out and close them up without posting.

I came home from the hospital four days after surgery. I had 6 drains but they took out two before I left. I had a drain under each of my arms on my body and two coming out the front of my pubic bone. Let me tell you how fun those two were. I spent the first few days just wrapped up in a blanket because I couldn't figure out what to wear that wouldn't irritate those drains.

I did a lot of sleeping at home that first week. I stopped taking any of the pain meds they gave me 5 days after surgery. I took a pill and it made me throw up and I decide I would take the pain over the cookie tossing. One of my incisions is a cut from hip to hip so sneezing, coughing or barfing was something to be avoided if at all possible.

My mom and dad and my man were such huge help. I needed a ton of it. I couldn't walk very easily, or shower myself, or go to the bathroom without help. I couldn't sleep laying down.

Let me just tell you, I was a big, ole mess. Thank God that He designed our bodies to recover quite quickly from such serious surgery. I'm now doing most of my normal things (well, I'm not back to exercising just yet), just a little slower and I still take a nap during the day.

I went to the doctor today for another check up. He removed my drains on the last visit (YAY). This time, I have about a two inch area on my abdominal incision that is infected. So today he cleaned it out and packed it with gauze and showed me how to do it so I could change the dressing twice a day. Other than that, he admired his handy work and said everything was looking great!

I will tell you that I spent several days after surgery wondering if this was worth it. Now that I'm out a few more weeks from the surgery, I am glad that I did it. I feel now like it's not so obvious that I battled breast cancer just by looking at my chest. I can chose who I want to share my story with.

We are heading out to Iowa and then Colorado this Saturday for a niece and two nephews graduations. We are all looking forward to getting out of Dodge.

Thanks for your prayers, care and concern.

Hugs!


Lord, my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me. Psalm 30:2




1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

So glad that you're healing nicely. You are strong and brave and help others by sharing your story. Safe journey to visit family!