Monday, December 2, 2013

Turkey a la King

I love the time after Thanksgiving. You know. Leftovers, specifically turkey leftovers. I had a bag of turkey left over and I was wondering what to fix with it. I went to one of my favorite food websites and this recipe looked interesting. I didn't fix it exactly as they said and I think it's better. 

Try it and see what you think. If you don't have a leftover turkey, FIX one so you can have leftovers. :)

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1/2 c diced onion
2-3 sweet mini peppers or 1 green bell diced up
1/2 bag of frozen peas
2 c chicken broth
1 c half and half or heavy cream
1 1/2 tbsp cooking sherry
2 c turkey (you could even use a rotisserie chicken if your in a pinch)

I browned the butter in my cast iron skillet. After it was a toasty color I added the onions and peppers. I cooked these until they softened a bit. I added the flour sprinkling over the mixture and stirring until I had a nice roux. I added the chicken broth and then the milk a little at a time so it didn't curdle. Then I added the cooking sherry. I seasoned it with salt and pepper to my liking. Then I put in my leftover shredded turkey. 

I was going to serve the whole hot mess over pastry puffs but I bought the mini ones on accident so I used leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving and served them over that. 

I've licked my plate clean. I thought it was delicious. Maybe I just have a palate that is easy to please. 

Tinker with the recipe as you choose. Hope you like it. 

No comments: