Saturday, November 2, 2013

SOS

If you are looking for an easy, quick supper, SOS or hamburger gravy is the way to go. I think it got it's name in the service. My dad said they used to fix this for them when he was in the Air Force.

Whenever I need to fix something quick and cheap I think of this and my husband and kids love it.


Hamburger Gravy
2 lbs of hamburger
a quart or so of milk - I used 2 % and throw in a little 1/2 & 1/2
1/4 c flour
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

I fry the hamburger in a deep skillet - like my cast iron skillet. When the hamburger is done I drain off some of the fat and then sprinkle the meat with all the flour. As soon as I've stirred that in, I add the milk and let it simmer until it thickens. Then I season it with the onion powder and salt and pepper. It's ready when the gravy is as thick as you like it.

If you wanted to take the time, you could dice up some onions and cook them with the hamburger and then you could omit the onion powder. There really are LOTS of ways to fix this with many additions.

I serve the gravy over toasted bread (Dan's favorite) or biscuits or mashed potatoes (my favorite).

Wha la, a quick and easy supper.




4 comments:

Bob and Joleen said...

Love when you share your recipes!!!

Co said...

thanks so much Joleen!

Unknown said...

My Dad brought this receipe home from a hunting trip one time 50+ years ago only they guys had it over pancakes. I still make it but without the onion as i can not eat onions but as you prefer it on mashed potatoes :-)

Co said...

Thanks Teresa. Pretty tasty stuff!