Sunday, November 3, 2013

Homemade Granola

One more recipe for you. Today, I made granola from scratch with the help of my sister in law's recipe. Oh goodness, I may never eat anything else.

Here's the recipe:

My New Favorite Granola
6 c. oats
2 c. of large coconut flakes
1 1/2 c sliced almonds (or coarsely chopped)
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/3 c. plus 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. sea salt


Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix oats, coconut, nuts and flour in large bowl. Set aside. Add the remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until smooth and liquified.  Drizzle half the liquid over the oats and mix well. Drizzle other half. Mix well again. Spread in thin layer over cooking sheet. This might take 2 or three baking sheets. Bake for 40 minutes stirring half way through. The granola will be lightly golden brown. It will get crunchier as it cools.

You can add all kinds of stuff to this recipe. Some suggestions are walnuts, sunflower seeds, chia, pepitas, etc. If you add raisins or dried cherries, do so after the granola cools otherwise they will burn.

I fixed a single batch today because I didn't have enough ingredients for two batches. Next time, I will fix a double batch for sure. I can't seem to keep my kids, not to mention my husband, out of it.

It's good Clark, real good.


No comments: