Monday, May 9, 2011

What's Up With Colleen

It was a very rough eight days following my chemo treatment but I'm up, around, and feeling pretty good. I was told to expect a week of "bad" followed by a week of "so-so" and then a few days of good right before treatment again. Fortunately, the week of "so-so" has been pretty good.

Since I was on steroids that I took over a five day period I experienced some severe depression. Like I shared before, I have problems with steroids. It feels like I was in a deep, dark hole that swallowed me up for those 8 days. I can't seem to control the thoughts of helplessness and the feeling that I can't get through this. After I stop taking the steroids, my mind seems to return to normal and I process everything like usual. I really hate this part of chemo.

I went in today to have labs worked up. My white cell count has plummeted. She said I wasn't quarantined to the house and I'm so glad for that. I will just have to be very careful to avoid anyone with an infection or sickness. Lots of hand washing for all of us.

Spring is coming to the north slowly this year. We have had gray days and some rain but the grass is a nice shade of green and the trees have finally popped with buds. I am ready for the warm weather and sunshine.

I'm ready to get my fingers in the dirt and to plant some flowers and vegetables. Dan and I had made two raised beds for vegetables last year... and then we moved. We have more trees and shade here so I'm not sure where to plant. I just know I want a garden again. Isn't it the best when you eat something you raised?

Please pray for me this coming week as I have another chemo treatment on Tuesday, May 17. I so covet your prayers and I know that I can get through this with God's help. Pray that myself and my family would have a supernatural "bubble" around us protecting us from anything infectious. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

When I said, "My foot is slipping." your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. Psalm 94:18-19

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth: give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever. For great is your love toward me: you have delivered me from the depths of the grave. Psalm 86:11-13

3 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

I will pray that you have more good days than bad days, and that you will receive the help you need to get through them. You are strong and brave and can heal. Alright, sending a big bubble of protection over your house. You're like the family in the plastic bubble.

cbullock said...

Colleen, I just want to thank you for sharing your story at MOPS. You have such a beautiful spirit and what a testimony of Faith! Stay strong in the Spirit.

Amy

Kim said...

Colleen, Hoping you feel up to playing in the dirt! Not sure if they told you or not, but please wear gloves when you are on chemo...Prayers your way!