Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rainy Day Chicken and Noodles

It rained TONS here yesterday. I thought we might have to make like Noah and build an ark to float away in. Too bad Colorado doesn't get some of this rain because that forest fire above Fort Collins wouldn't have stood a chance against the downpour.

It was dark most of the day and a little chilly so I made a more wintery meal last night. Do you do the same? Have your meals categorized by seasons? Anyway, my dear grandmother used to make a meal somewhat like I did last night except she always made her own noodles. I remember them laying on newspaper everywhere in the kitchen. I have asked my mom for her recipe but she hasn't been able to come up with it yet.

Anyway, here's what we had last night.

Chicken and Noodles
4-5 chicken breasts ( or a whole chicken would work nicely)
big pot of water

I put the chicken breasts into the boiling water and let them boil for a good 45 minutes to 1 hour. To the pot of water I add:

1 bay leaf
1 clove minced garlic
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small onion. chopped
3-6 whole parsley leaves, diced
1 1/2 - 2 tsp salt (taste and add more if necessary)
black pepper, to taste

I didn't have fresh celery and my last onion was rotten so I remembered that I had picked up a bag of dried veggies from my local co-op. It had carrots and celery and onion and other nice spices in it so that is what I used to season my water last night.

Squeeze 1/2 a fresh lemon into the pot.

I add wide egg noodles at the end and let them cook until done. I thicken the broth with several tablespoons of flour and water mixed together.

I also dice potatoes and boil them to make a mash potato base for the chicken and noodles. I put a pile of the mashed potatoes on the plate and put the chicken and noodles over the top. You could just eat the chicken and noodles by themselves, though, and that would be just as tasty.

NOTHING beats this comfort food. The smell of this all cooking in the pot is incentive enough to put it together one evening. Enjoy.


No comments: