Thursday, July 30, 2009

Deader than a doornail...

Uh hum, I was going by Shelby's room this morning en route to the triplets bedroom to get clothes for them for the day when I thought I should check her hamster (Butterscotch) and see how he was doing. (She's at Bible camp this week.)

We've noticed that he has slowed down a bit in the past few months. We also know that her last hamster lived between 2-3 years and that is the current age of Butterscotch. He also seemed to have grown immensely the past month or so. So big that he can't get into his little cave anymore. Anyway, I started preparing her and telling her that the end might be near for her dear little hamster.

I stuck my head in the door and noticed right away that the grim reaper had come calling on the poor little guy. He was by his dish with his little feet sticking straight up in the air. I muttered, "Why couldn't you have held on a few more days til Shelby came home from camp? Did you have to die on my watch?"

I called Dan to tell him the bad news. While talking to him, Macy heard me and ran upstairs to see for herself. Then, the floodgates opened and she cried her little head off. Later, while I was downstairs distracted, she decided to open his cage and "play" with him and then she decided to bury him under his wood shavings.

"Yuck," I yelled, "go wash your hands immediately!"

It took me a few minutes to decide what to do. A friend has a guinea pig that she's trying to get rid of so we hopped in the car and headed over there to pick her up. I stuck Butterscotch in the freezer (yes, we will have to have a funeral for him when Shelby gets home) and put the new guinea pig in her room.

Hopefully, the distraction of a new pet will help her deal with the loss of Butterscotch. We'll see if it works. She comes home from camp tomorrow.

No comments: