Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I love to cook

There's something about being in the kitchen that is soothing to me. Pots a bubblin', wonderful smells in the air, kids underfoot. I usually have some music playing on the computer. It's really one of my favorite places to be.

I tried this easy recipe the other night and I thought it was yummo!

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup
SERVES 4
Ingredients
6 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups wild rice, cooked
1/3 cup cooked chicken, diced
1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons dry sherry - (it is still good if you don't have this ingredient)
snipped parsley or chives (for garnish) - (great for presentation but 5 year olds really don't care!)
Directions
Melt the butter in a soup pot.
Saute the onion until it is softened.
Blend in the flour and then gradually stir in the chicken broth. Stir constantly until it comes to a boil, keep stirring for one more minute.
Add wild rice, chicken, carrots, almonds, salt and simmer about 5 minutes.
Add half-and-half and sherry, heat until just heated through.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives.

I'm all about soups and stews on the stove or in the crockpot when it's cold outside. I think it makes a great main course but Dan looks at it more like an appetizer. :) Hope you give it a try.

1 comment:

The Torpys said...

Co, I just made this tonight and it was a hit with everyone! I used potato flour so it was Zane legal. Yummy!! Its almost like a gumbo, I wonder if you could add shrimp or crab to it! Thanks sweetie!!